Wednesday, October 18, 2006

F.E.A.R = SPIDERS


Spiders are an important and fascinating part of our natural environment. Their webs are wonders of natural architecture. They have major ecological and agricultural roles as killers of insects. Both their venom and silk are being used in medical research (stroke treatment) , pest control (insect specific pesticides) and fibre technology (transgenic biosilk production).

Many different spiders live alongside humans exploiting the nooks and crannies of houses, sheds and gardens. They are good to have around because they eat lots of insect pests.
This photo was taken at Irishtown Nature Park, the spider was hidden among the long grass. The only reason I found him/her was because I almost walked into the web while photographing other areas of nature. This spider was HUGE, but the colors and pattern were beautiful and I love how the photo makes the web glisten.
The lens I used was my Canon 50-90mm, I added a macro filter on to get a bit closer. If you could see the photo in full size you can see the hairs on what looks to be fangs. Overall, the photo was a first for me as I never tried photographing arachnids before.
Some editing was done, but mainly just darkening some areas and a bit of sharpening edges.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home